華奢りん

華奢りん

I had decided to dedicate most of my Saturdays to an event we called Freetalk Saturdays.

Last Saturday, was our second meeting for this year and one part of our conversation was when I asked them about the meaning of the kanji characters in their names and that if I can have one for myself, what would be their suggestions.

My name is Katherine and if translated into the Japanese hiragana, it will sound like /kya-sha-rin/ though the katakana equivalent of my name sounds more stiff /ka-te-rin/ but I prefer the sound of the first one given by the Miyazaki International Foundation officer.

In English, Katherine, Catherine, Katarina, Katrina means “Pure” or “Clear” said to be of Greek origin. I would like to believe that my parents had taken time to think about my name as I am the firstborn girl in the family after 2 boys ahead of me.

I am always fascinated by the meanings of the kanji characters in a Japanese person’s name. So, every now and then, if conversations allow, I try to ask about the meaning of their names and if at some ways, ask if the meanings of their name affect their way of thinking and their way of life as well. Because, for me, I would like to think that it does. Since, it is a part of me, it defines a part of me.

They said that a typical Japanese name consists of 2 kanji characters. Due to it’s well-defined strokes and meaning, it is just but good to limit it to minimal numbers per person.

We came up with the kanji for the first two syllables of my name:
華奢りん

As per Coori JED Jap-Eng Dictionary, it means: luxury, pomp, delicate, slender, gorgeous.

Among the associated meaning, I would like connect it to the word “delicate”. Well, my Japanese friends say /kyasha/ means delicate, and it is used to define feelings and not objects.

The word “delicate” struck a cord in me. I think it can be a good definition of me.
With hormonal imbalance, I suffer from severe mood swings and triggered reactions about different matters, be it personal, or something I had just read in the news. I am also very emotional and easily “fall” for something or someone and takes awhile to “detach” or “move on”.

I told one of my students about this newfound Kanji characters for my name and he said that eventhough I have a delicate heart, I am strong-willed and determined. I hope he is correct about his observation.

Pure, clear and delicate. My name. Is it me?

Every name has a meaning, and a very beautiful meaning at that, even Lucifer’s name has a very good meaning, “light-bringing”. Wouldn’t it be good if we can all live within the beautiful and positive meanings of our names?



http://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/name/katherine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine

Comments

  1. Hala sya! Akala ko nacorrupt na yung blog mo hahaha. Buti naman di pa kaunti na lang tayo matatag at lumalaban pa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment :)

Popular posts from this blog

It's her time to go.

11 Sept 2023

29 Sept 2023